Be Prepared For ANYTHING With Your Website

 I feel like I've neglected an incredibly important part of the whole business ownership process. This is where I tell you that however well prepared you are, something can always go wrong. It's the requisite article that sounds entirely too pessimistic, but is necessary for anyone who hasn't already thought ahead.

It took me the better part of a year to realize, after I had my first websites online, that I really should be backing everything up and spending some time preparing for the worst. This is the Internet after all, and at any given time the servers that your data is stored on could go belly up - leaving your readers and your business in a serious lurch.

Luckily, I never had any problems. My sites have run smoothly, without incident since I launched them. But, I know more than a couple site owners who were not anywhere near as lucky. Power surges, storms, bad computers, bad hosting - it's all out there and if you're not ready for it, you could be in a huge hole.

Being Prepared

Always assume something will go wrong - it's the only way to be completely sure you're ready. Even perfect drivers have car insurance - you just have to be sure you're ready. Here are some tips to being prepared:

• Backing Up the Server - If you're on a shared host, your sites should be backed up occasionally by someone. If you're running a VPS or a dedicated server, get in there and backup whatever you're using at least once a week. I often recommend a Sunday when traffic is lower and server loads are minimal. If you're using Wordpress, back up the posts separately as well.

• Security is Important - You'll need some good security options too. Get things in place to keep your server safe, minimize the chance you'll be attacked with DoS attacks (denial of service) and make sure there are no backdoors that can be hacked to take down your sites. Seems impossible someone would want to steal your site? Think again.

• Be Ready for Traffic - This is one of the biggest things I see. If you're running on a $5 a month plan when you launch a new product and you get 10,000 hits in one day, get ready for a crashed website. Be ready for any single marketing tactic you use to really kick in and turn your site into a cash cow. Don't let your site crash in the middle of the heaviest traffic you'll ever get.



Wordpress Theme Updates

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Calgary Condo Living

Get Started Today - Making Money Blogging for Beginners

7 Questions To Ask Your Website Designer Before You Hire Them